Baking soda is safe for your pets. It’s nontoxic and safe for dogs, cats and other critters. You can use it to control odors, clean accidents, and help maintain healthy teeth.
10 Ways to Use Baking Soda to Care for Your Pets
- Use baking soda as a dry wash for your dogs. Sprinkle on, rub in and brush out. This is an easy way to control odor between bathing.
- Maintain healthy teeth by dipping a damp, soft toothbrush in baking soda and brush gently. To help with bad breath try using the following solution mixed in a spray bottle. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water. Spray your pet’s mouth regularly.
- Eliminate odors from a kitty litter box, sprinkle in 1/2 cup of baking soda with the litter.
- Make your own kitty litter – mix 1 small box of baking soda and 2 -3 inches of dry, sandy clay.
- Clean the litter box by removing the old litter and pour in 1/2 inch of vinegar. Let this stand for 10 – 15 minutes. Then pour out and dry. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of baking soda on the bottom before adding fresh kitty litter.
- Clean up after an accident by scrubbing the area with club soda and let dry. Then sprinkle with baking soda, let stand for 20 minutes and vacuum.
- Deodorize bedding with a sprinkling of baking soda, let stand and vacuum.
- For cleaning the bottom of your bird cage, sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and scrub. Then wipe clean and dry.
- Reduce the odors in a ferret cage sprinkle and layer of baking soda at the bottom before you apply the new bedding.
- To maintain the proper pH in your saltwater aquarium, mix 1 tablespoon baking soda in 1 cup dechlorinated water. Add to the tank slowly, over a couple hours, to attain the appropriate pH for your fish.
~ Do It Yourself Naturally